Simple, Healthy, Easy!
Healthy and easy does not need to be difficult. My Arugula Pepper Side Salad embodies simplicity in ingredients and preparation. No endless chopping or vinaigrette mixing. It’s raw, it’s healthy, and still has a bunch of flavor.
I have always been in awe of recipes that are simple but end up being delicious. I have felt it is somewhat clever if a chef,cook, restaurant can use minimal ingredients and still create something wonderful.
Arugula Pepper Side Salad Pairings
Having a quick and easy side should be something in every home cooks toolkit. It reduces stress of getting a full meal pulled together, but also keeps you from grabbing pre-made or microwave ready sides.
I first made this salad in the heat of July when it was honestly too dang hot to cook. The summers in the midwest can be especially brutal. It is a true side, so not enough to sustain a full meal. This salad pairs well with comfort dishes such as iron skillet ribeye or Truffle Noodles. It is light enough that it will not fill you up, but helps tie a full balanced meal together.
You can make this salad with any bell peppers you have on hand, however I really enjoy using the red bell peppers. First, they pop against the dark green salad bed. Secondly, I find the red peppers to have a slightly sweeter flavor which complements the peppery arugula.
I prefer to Juliane the bell peppers and leave the onion as circles. This adds a bit of variety and character to you simple salad.
The best part about this side is that there is no vinaigrette to mix up. Just a squeeze of a lemon before your dig in and that is all you need!
Arugula Pepper Side Salad
- 1 chef knife
- 1 large serving bowl
- 1 tongs for tossing the salad
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion thinly sliced
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 tsp breadcrumbs
- olive oil optional
- 4 slices lemon
- Chop onion and red pepper into thin slices.1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 white onion
- Combine onion, and red pepper with arugula in a large serving dish1/2 red bell pepper, 4 cups arugula, olive oil
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.2 tsp breadcrumbs
- Optional: Drizzle with olive oil and toss so everything is well mixed.olive oil
- Serve with lemon as an accompaint to a main dish.4 slices lemon